Send Real Post Cards to your loved ones or yourself for FREE, just upload the picture and enter the address/message. Click Here

purpose of UV filter.......

940 views 7 replies
Reply to Topic
samitsubba

Total Posts: 6

Topic on Jan 11, 2013 11:35 AM
Hello photography lovers, just wanted to know the genuine purpose of UV filter used by the photographers. I own a Canon 600D with 18-55 mm IS lens and please suggest me the best UV filter for my kit. Thanx.

photoshoot says
Reply on Jan 11, 2013 02:45 PM
Hi samit,
Purpose of UV filter - mainly to protect lens (coating) from ultra violet rays of sun ..
Others are dust, finger touch, smears & scratches directly on lens surface . U can change uv filter to new one but can't change front (main) element of lens after all image quality depends upon quality of lens too.
Best for U & allmost all - Hoya skylight filter 1b ..( it has additional coating for better result)

samitsubba says
Reply on Jan 11, 2013 08:58 PM
Thanx a lot photoshoot(as what ur profile says) and one more query, is it (Hoya skylight filter 1b) compatible with Canon 18-55 mm IS lens?

Jag says
Reply on Jan 12, 2013 10:20 AM
Filters are based on the diameter of the lens.

Look at the front of your lens it should be written 58mm I think, so get a UV Filter of 58mm size and it will fit perfectly.

Canon 40D | Canon 70-200 f4 L | Canon 17-85mm | Canon 50mm f1.4
www.clubphoto.in

photoshoot says
Reply on Jan 12, 2013 06:00 PM
Yes... Mr. Jag is right !! Remove dust with blower brush, smears with cleaning fluid and spec. cloth (make lens surface clean as new) before fitting filter . Fit lens cap on it .

Reply on Jan 14, 2013 01:36 PM
believe me dear the cheap ones will distort ur images
and expensive ones are very expensive ... ur camera will not exposed to UV rays unless u want it to do so ... .... just a protective glass .. no body wants to shoot the Sun and for a small duration its ok ... only purpose is dat it serves is as a protective glass for dust etc ..

Muslim says
Reply on Jan 14, 2013 05:19 PM
Don't waste money on UV Filters, the way Lens companies manufacture the lenses these days is by itself treated and strong, if at all the UV Filter's glass if shattered can scratch your lens to irreparable damage. Besides Digital Sensors are not sensitive to UV light any ways.

samitsubba says
Reply on Jan 15, 2013 04:29 PM
Thanx a lot everyone for ur useful suggestions and informations.

Reply to Topic